Visitors and residents are treated to a quaint, well-maintained community established in the early 1800s. Officially named in 1861 by an English lay minister, Mount Horeb is a biblical name chosen because of the area’s high elevation and natural beauty. Among the many settlers from Europe, the Norwegians brought along their traditional trolls, thus the “Troll Capital” name was born.
While Mount Horeb has maintained its link to the past with the preservation of many of its antique buildings and homes, the Village is also a modern, full-service community for its residents and those of nearby communities. The bustling business district offers nearly every type of business and service that a community needs to be self-sufficient.
Mount Horeb is proud of its municipal services, providing its own electric utility, police and recreation departments, public library and volunteer fire department. The top-rated Fire Department of Mount Horeb houses the very latest in firefighting and emergency medical equipment.
Places of worship within the Mount Horeb Area accommodate many different religions and faiths.