Committee Chair Tools
Thank you for your time and dedication to helping the Mount Horeb Area Chamber reach new heights through your work as a committee chairperson.
To make your job easier, we are providing this resource page for you with many of the dates, contacts, etc. provided during your orientation. While it is not strategically available from the drop-down on our website, you can find it by searching for “committee chairs”
Duties of the Chairperson:
- The chairperson studies the task, clarifies any points not thoroughly understood in cooperation with the Chamber staff. The chairperson helps to recruit individuals for his/her committee whose skills will help and are needed. He/she charts the course of action within the Chamber’s strategic plan.
- The Chairperson creates the agenda items, sending them to staff for distribution preferably no later than one week prior to the meeting.
- Along with the committee, understands, reviews and updates the committee’s charter, goals, objectives and metrics annually for submission to the Executive Committee in time for January approval.
- Develop goals and objective based on strategic plan and monitor metrics and submits to Executive Committee for approval in December for next calendar year
- Orientates new members of committee
- Request on additional members
- Request from external
- Chair to ask to draft
- Suggest changes to Board strategies by August for the board’s annual Strategic Planning session.
- Conducts meetings. The committee meets only to utilize its members in accomplishing a goal. Meetings are to be held as needed, start and end on time, and provide opportunities for members to report, suggest and participate. The Chair keeps his/her eye on the objective and the goals of the committee and keeps the discussion pertinent to the goal.
- Gets action. The chair guides and stimulates the group to produce.
- Our members and leaders want and need to know your good work. Reporting out engages the members. To ensure this communication a chair:
- Delivers a written report at monthly Board Meetings directly or through a board member on the committee on your metrics
- The chairperson must constantly evaluate his or her work and procedures and the progress of the committee and its members.
- Succession Plans. Identifies successor(s) and communicates this to the Executive Director.
- Recommendations for the following year’s chairperson are due by October for the following year.
Authority of Chairperson
The chairperson has the authority to add members as needed and release others as their function is finished. The chair does not have the authority to commit the Chamber financially to any project. This includes committing staff time or Chamber resources without approval from the Board of Directors and executive director. The committee shall have only as much authority as prescribed by the Board of Directors.
Committee members work toward the fulfillment of the committee’s objectives. Many committees are open to the full membership. However, a select few committees may require membership appointment by the Chamber Board or through an application process. Committee members must be a member in good standing of the Chamber. At times it may be appropriate to bring a guest or speaker who is not a member.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Attend committee meetings
- Carry out individual assignments made by the committee chair
- Participate in committee discussions and decisions
- Attend appropriate Chamber functions and events
Chamber staff members work with committee chairs to develop goals and timelines for programs and projects. They oversee the actions of the committee and make sure that all Chamber policies and procedures are followed. Committee members send out the meeting notices prior to the committee meeting and reserve meeting space. Committee members maintain notes from meetings.
A staff representative will attend each meeting. Staff should provide direction to the volunteers based on professional judgment and Chamber policies and procedures. Chamber staff is ultimately responsible for the outcome of the work of the committee.
Staff will welcome new committee members and connect committee chairs via email as soon as they express interest in joining.